FINDING A HOME
Now that you’ve been pre-qualified and you’ve found an agent you’re comfortable with, it’s time to go shopping!
You might fall in love with the first home you visit. It might be the 50th home. Everyone has a different experience shopping, and no two transactions are exactly alike. Have no fear! Your agent and your loan officer know this, and they will help guide you through your home search.
Here are a few things to think about when purchasing:
1. Property tax rates in the area you’re purchasing.
2. HOA - is the property in an HOA? What are the benefits? What are the dues?
3. If you have children, you might consider paying attention to the school district you’re looking in.
4. Needs and wants for your new home - how many bedrooms do you need? How many bathrooms? Is it important to have a swimming pool or do you need more yard space?
5. Is the home you’re looking at in a flood zone?
6. Does through-traffic cause any issues for you? Would it be better to purchase on a cul-de-sac?
7. What are the local traffic patterns and how does the location of your home affect your commute to work?
All of these items are things that you can (and should!) discuss with your agent. They can give you some recommendations based on historical experience and local knowledge. Remember: it probably won’t cost you an extra dollar to have a real estate agent in your corner to help you navigate the home search.
CHECK OUT THE
BENEFITS OF AN FHA LOAN
Texas Mortgage Consultants hosts free useful resources for home affordability, amortization and mortgage payment. Take advantage of them today!
AND GET APPROVED
Apply online and talk with our Texas mortgage experts
to find out the best options for your first time home